I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 13:03:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 11:47 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
> > What is the advantage of running (K)Ubuntu or any other Linux distro on a
> > smartphone or tablet?
>
> I would find it a great advantage to run the same, or similar,
> OS's or DE's on laptop and phone, just for simplicity.

[Jumping into the middle of this, so apologies if I'm going over old
ground here].

Be careful what you wish for. The usage cases are not the same, so a
system optimized for one will typically not be optimized for the other.

> For example, I would like to use KMail on my Samsung Galaxy S2,
> collecting mail through IMAP from my server.
> I'd like to run Firefox on my phone,
> just because that is what I am familiar with.

AFAIK you already can run Firefox (or Chrome) on that platform. I have
both on my Google Nexus phone (Android 4.2.2). KMail not so much, but
other IMAP clients yes. In fact I just use the GMail app but there are
others.

To my mind, the important thing is being able to access all your data,
even if the user interface is different.

> I find the sync-ing between phone and computer less than satisfactory.
> If both presented the same interface it would be much better (for me).

I don't think this is an interface problem. Android >=4 doesn't allow
direct access to files via the USB port (unless the phone is rooted), so
syncing has to use the pretty lame MTP protocol. This is OS-independent,
but very limited in its capabilities.

> I would consider going over to Ubuntu on laptop and phone
> if I were reasonably sure that would simplify my life.

Sure, but it remains to be seen how much simpler your life actually
gets. The Ubuntu phone interface has some interesting features, but it's
different from the desktop (which they are also they are trying to
change, over howls of protest from many users).

poc