Random freezes with new kernel?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 18:08:09 UTC 2013

I got the 3.8.3-203.fc18.x86_64 kernel this morning when I ran
yum, rebooted to get it running, removed the "mei" module to
stop the incessant errors it was generating (bug 917081)
and now I've had my system totally freeze up several times.

It goes completely non-responsive, screen doesn't update, cursor
doesn't move, Ctrl-Alt-F2 doesn't take me to a console, etc.

Then after some random amount of time (seemed like about 3
minutes the first time, later ones have been shorter), it
suddenly starts working again.

No trace of any problem seems to be left in any log files
I can find.

Is this happening to anyone else? Do I actually need the
annoying mei kernel module for something that might be
the cause of these hangs?

Should I submit a kernel bug for this?