I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Mar 20 18:16:41 UTC 2013

On 03/20/2013 10:32 AM, Matthew J. Roth issued this missive:
> Olav Vitters wrote:
>>
>> Would be lovely if you'd (Harald Reindl) be booted off this mailing list,
>> but still: whatever.
>
> Harald may be a little rough around the edges, but he consistently makes helpful
> and informative posts.  In balance, this mailing list would be much worse off
> without his presence.
>
> In this case, I also happen to agree with him.  Just because tablets and
> smartphones are en vogue at the moment doesn't mean that there isn't a place for
> more traditional form factors in the future.  With so many different
> distributions, I don't see any reason why any of them should be trying to be one
> size fits all.  I know I certainly don't want to be using a tablet to do my day-
> to-day development and server administration tasks.
>
> It's all Linux, so there is no need for an "us vs. them" mentality between
> distributions.  If one is more suited for servers, another for desktops, and
> another for tablets/smartphones then so be it.  After all, the Unix philosophy
> is to "do one thing and do it well".

Doing anything useful with a tablet (e.g. software development,
managing a data center, etc.) is well-nigh impossible. I only use one if
I absolutely must and it generally takes MUCH more time to get
anything done.

<soap>
Tablets and smartphones have their uses. "Tweets" or Facebook update
stuff (is your life really so bloody pathetic that you have to share
that you ate a peanut butter sandwich to feel "connected"?) is what
they're designed for. I will never give up my desktop or large screen
laptop (which occasionally gets coupled to my cell phone as a 4G
wireless modem). I have to do real work.
</soap>
-     To get that bulldozer airborne, we need more explosives.       -
-                                                -- Jamie Hyneman    -