I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Mar 20 20:40:22 UTC 2013

On 03/20/2013 01:20 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> if you would know about you are speaking you would
> know that you NEVER can virtualize a x86 CPU on
> ARM architecture

I do, but you're still missing several key points.  First, Intel is
working quite hard to get x86 CPUs into these mobile devices.  They want
a piece of this action.  Second, even if we give up x86, many users
don't care  The future of computing is not in the stranglehold of
backward compatibility.

So, I'll repeat myself.  Yes, there will be a niche that's filled by the
same systems we have today.  Large computers running legacy code,
providing whatever doesn't fit in a mobile package.  However, that's
likely to become increasingly niche.

> this does not help you to run legacy apps
> and i still speak of WORKING with computers

So do I.  I'm an IT contractor.  I've been a system administrator since
1997.  I write software.  You don't have to convince me that we'll
always need keyboards and large screens.  I couldn't work without them.
  But I could dock a small computer into a fixed keyboard and monitor,
do my work, and then take my computer with me when I leave.