I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 20 21:06:08 UTC 2013

On 03/20/2013 07:16 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 03/20/2013 10:32 AM, Matthew J. Roth wrote:
>> Just because tablets and
>> smartphones are en vogue at the moment doesn't mean that there isn't a
>> place for
>> more traditional form factors in the future.
>
> That's probably true to some extent.  However, have you ever actually
> seen an Atrix workstation or laptop?

Sure, these beasts certainly have their use-case, ... as extended mobile
mediaplayers etc., but not as full replacement for desktops.

I for one compare tablets to motorcyles vs. cars/trucks. motorcyles are
fun, nice as complementary "mobility platform", but they are no
replacement for cars/trucks in many situations.

> Consider this:  You have a fully functional workstation at your desk.
> You finish up what you're doing and pull the computer out of its dock.
> The computer has all of your apps, all of your configurations, and all
> of your data.  You can use many of those apps on the computer's 4" touch
> screen.  If you need a larger screen or a keyboard, you break out your
> "laptop" form-factor dock and plug the computer in to it.  Presto, you
> have all of your apps and data on a laptop and continue your work.

Well, I've read similar texts, when laptops became available and
affordable, back in the 1990s. As we all have experienced, they haven't
swept away the desktop nor did "docked laptops" gain a significant
market share.
  IMO, because laptops etc. suffer from the same limitations as tablets
do, these days (Non-extendible, under-powered, etc.).

Ralf