I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 20 21:44:19 UTC 2013

On 03/20/2013 09:32 PM, Temlakos wrote:
> On 03/20/2013 03:58 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 03/20/2013 12:50 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>>> There will continue to be high-end workstations with whatever features
>>> you want that aren't in mobile devices,
>>
>> Like keyboards big enough for touch typing?

> Think that's the stuff of science fiction? Well, hold onto your seat,
> because voice command is already a feature of most smartphones
Nothing new - It already was available for PCs 10years+ ago.

> that use
> the i- and Android OS and, I presume, the WinPhone OS, too. From command
> to dictation is a step that I predict will take not more than five years
> to take.
That's what Dragon told us 10years+ ago ... They have been proven wrong.
"Command to dictation" is a _huge_ step, nobody so far has been able to
overcome.

> Now will someone tell me again that smartphones will never replace
> laptops?
Yes. They might be able to replace laptops for those folks who don't
need much more than a mediaplayer/phone/webbrowser, but for anybody
else, esp. those in the professional field, smartphones are no
alternative to desktops.

> What am I missing here?

Try to insert a 4 TB HD, try to extend its RAM, try to replace the CPU,
replace the battery, try to ... ? You say, you don't need this - Likely,
today. ... 2 years ahead, you likely would want to be able to do so,
instead of having to throw away your smartphone ;)

Ralf