udev ate my network

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Wed Mar 20 21:57:06 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Using f18.  Lot's of nice improvements.

I don't use NetworkManager.  I use network.

All my network info is in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

Everything was working well until I replaced a motley crue of network
adapters with a quad port adapter.

udev hijacked everything.  Can't make it go away.  Can't figure out why
it decided to raise its ugly head.

the ifcfg-eth? scripts have correct HWADDR mac address and their DEVICE
and NAME values are correct.

udev suddenly wants to rename everything back and forth.  Using advice
from this list I created 70-persistent-net rules which recreates the
original ifcfg setup and what I originally intended but now pauses for
30 seconds while it complains that udev is buggy and nothing will work
after it maybe gets fixed.

Worked well until I replaced the NICs.  Anybody know how to turn this
work-in-progess off?

Searched through the list history and found five related emails but none
that help here :)

Volunteers?

Thanks,
Mike Wright