Creating an rpm from scratch

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Mar 21 00:37:44 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 18.03.2013 18:30, schrieb Jared K. Smith:
>> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> what the hell did you not understand in "rpmbuild"
>>
>> Your tone is not appropriate... it sounds like the original poster
>> either doesn't have a spec file to begin with, or doesn't understand
>> it.  There's no reason to talk down to him like this
>
> the problem was that the OP did even not have Fedora and YUM
> and if he would state this at the very first begin of the
> thread i would not have answered in the whole thread because
> i do not know how tu build RPM's on other distributions nor
> i am interested in do it

I can't imagine why you would think I wasn't using Fedora, other than perhaps
confusing Doug and I through lack of attention to detail.

>> either doesn't have a spec file to begin with
>
> well, and that is why i started with "unpack a existing src.rpm"
> and look at the SPEC file which is cleraly doable for packages
> which are only a few KB small and have SPEC files with lower than
> 100 lines

As I said before, there is no existing SPEC for this package. Since I have used
a tool which asked questions in human readable form so you could go through it
quickly, I was looking for a similar tool, which I'm now willing to assume is no
longer maintained.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>