Issues in upgrade fc16->fc18

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Mar 21 16:19:34 UTC 2013

I initially hoped to upgrade to fc17 using preupgrade, then to fc18 using fedup,
but preupgrade failed after spending hours downloading, the actual install run
for about a hour and went out with an error. Since the package is obsolete, I
decided not to chase the problem, but to just do a full install using the fc16
boot, root, and swap.

Existing partitions:
partition    use
1            XP
2            Other bootable software
3            LUKS swap, shared between fc14 and fc16
4            extended
5            fc14 boot
6            fc14 root
7            fc16 boot
8            LUKS fc16 root
9            Linux /home
10           Linux /mnt/appdata

I wanted to install fc18 using 3, 7, and 8, since ability to boot fc14 is still
required.

When I selected manual configuration and clicked the swap[3], it asked for the
password and accepted the selection for fc18 swap.

When I selected the fc16 boot[6] as /boot, it accepted that for fc18.

When I selected the fc16 root[8] it promptly set up an fc16 section and put that
partition in a root. After that nothing I tried would move it to the fc18
configuration. It offered to delete the partition, but the concept of doing what
I selected and reusing it seems not possible, or not documented.

Any way to go back to the old installer, which was simple, intuitive and functional?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have