Intel Atom detecting a second monitor that doesn't exist.

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Mar 21 18:45:40 UTC 2013

Kevin Daly wrote:
> When booting on an Intel Atom machine I have, xorg reports it detects 2
> monitors, but I only have one monitor connected.
>
> The problem is that the login screen seems to be on the second "Non existent"
> monitor. So the machine is completely unusable.
>
> The motherboard only has one monitor output.
>
> This is with the intel i915 driver

It is probably not directly related to the ATOM, I have an ASUS netbook with the
510 CPU using the 915 driver, a firewall box based on micro-ATX and another 510,
same driver, and neither shows a phantom video device.

Do you get boot information on the mobo console output? If so you at least will
be able to edit the boot command line. On small systems like laptops and tiny
utility boxen I often have to add 'nomodeset' to the boot command line, or even
remove rhgb to get a boot.

Clearly you are seeing something as it boots, or you wouldn't see the xorg lines
(unless you are coming in from another system post boot).

Any additional info might be useful, I can only say the ATOM doesn't have a
generic problem with Linux or Fedora. I have one other ATOM box, it runs
headless, so I don't remember what the console driver was, other than 'working.'

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>