Fedora 18 security questions.

Jorge Martínez López jorgeml at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 20:03:39 UTC 2013

Hello,

2013/3/21 Steven Stern <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com>:
[...]
> It's extremely unlikely you'll have malware that affects the Linux
> stuff. To take care of that, install chkrootkit or rkhunter.
>
> If you share files with your Windows installation, the use clamav to
> scan those files for malware.

Adding to what Steven said clamav only checks for Windows viruses as
there is no malware for Linux as far as I know.

As long as you install your software from reputable sources (i.e.
Fedora repositories) and you keep it up to date you should be safe in
that sense.

Make sure your firewall is properly configured and blocks all ports
excepting the ones you need. There are online port scanners that can
help you verifying this.

Greetings,
--
Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml at gmail.com> http://www.jorgeml.net