hibernate with keystroke?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Mar 22 01:35:11 UTC 2013

Thanks very much! You really made my day -- I have been trying all
sorts of things to do this over the past two years or so....

hibernate does not work for me -- does not really wake up to anything
meaningfull on a Dell Latitude E540 (? ) for any of the 3.8 kernels:
does work for me all right on my trusty Thinkpad T61.

Thanks again for the help re: hibernate.
Ranjan

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 01:32:24 +0100 poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21.03.2013 03:22, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been trying to get to hibernate using a single keystroke. So,
> > here is what i tried:
> >
> > put pm-hibernate in my sudo. Checked this by using:
> >
> > sudo pm-hibernate
> >
> > This works without a hitch.
> >
> > Then I keyed in ctrl-f12 to be equivalent to sudo pm-hibernate.
> > (also tried sudo /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate).
> >
> > Tried this, but this does not work. Pretty much nothing happens.
> >
> > I am quite confident that there is nothing wrong with the syntax because
> > I replaced it with (say) slock and it locks the screen just fine.
> >
> > What should I be doing here?
> >
> > Alternatively, what is the command that is executed when I go through
> > gnome-logout and then press hibernate? I would just like to mimic that,
> > I guess.
> >

> Fedora 18 == systemd ;)
> systemctl suspend/hibernate/hybrid-sleep are display manager independent.
> man systemctl
> btw on 3.8.3-203.fc18.x86_64 the hibernate is broken on some mobos.
> Yours working?
>

> Suspend example:
>
> dconf dump /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/
> [/]
> custom-keybindings=['/org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings/custom0/']
> logout=''
> screensaver='<Primary><Alt>l'
>
> [custom-keybindings/custom0]
> binding='<Primary><Alt>Delete'
> command='gnome-session-quit --logout'
> name='Logout'
> ..
>
> dconf write
> /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings/custom11/name
> "'Suspend'"
> dconf write
> /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings/custom11/command
> "'systemctl suspend'"
> dconf write
> /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings/custom11/binding
> "'<Shift>F11'"
> dconf write
> /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings
> "['/org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings/custom0/',
> '/org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings/custom11/']"
> ..
>
> dconf dump /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/
> [/]
> custom-keybindings=['/org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings/custom0/',
> '/org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings/custom11/']
> logout=''
> screensaver='<Primary><Alt>l'
>
> [custom-keybindings/custom11]
> binding='<Shift>F11'
> command='systemctl suspend'
> name='Suspend'
>
> [custom-keybindings/custom0]
> binding='<Primary><Alt>Delete'
> [...]

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional
e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.