Problem with cron

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Mar 22 21:12:02 UTC 2013

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 13:16:16 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
>
>> I have my computers registered with the Linux Counter, and my main
>> desktop machine is supposed to update its status once a week, using a
>> cron job:
>>
>> # added by lico-update.sh version 0.3.14
>> 58 11 * * 4 /home/joe/bin/lico-update.sh -m
>>
>> The permissions on the script are right, and if run manually, it works.
>>    This worked fine under Fedora 16, but doesn't now that I'm running F
>> 17.  Does anybody know what's happened, or how to find out?
>
> How/where did you install this cron job? In "joe"'s crontab via "crontab -e"?
> Or in the system-wide crontab (e.g. one of/etc/cron*)?
>
> How did you reach the conclusion that the job isn't executed at all?
> Does /var/log/cron mention it? Do other cron jobs work for you if you
> install them in the same way?

As the included comment says, it was added to my crontab by the script
when I ran the installation routine, and I checked it with crontab -l to
make sure exactly what it said.  I came to the conclusion that it's not
getting run because of two things: the page at the Linux Counter doesn't
update when it should and there's no mention of the script being run in
/var/log/cron.  However, if I run the script from the command line, the
counter updates.