Upgrading Fedora 16 to 17 or 18 Problems.

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Mar 22 23:08:22 UTC 2013

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> I've got a lab of about 8 year old AMD FX-55 64 bit machines with
> 2G of Ram and Nvidia 5200 cards. I've had previous versions of
> Fedora up to the current Fedora 16. The other day, was going to
> do a test of upgrading machine and doing a clean install to see
> the differences. Ran into some problems.
>
> Tried preupgrade, and for some reason it would only offer the
> upgrade to 17 and not 18? I then did the upgrade, and it went thru
> the whold process, and finished with the message to reboot, but
> the boot menu never had an option to do the upgrade. Just the
> same old Fedora 16 kernels? The files were in the boot directory,
> but nothing in the grub.cfg files?

Had that problem. Waited 24 hours for the repositories to finish whatever,
cleared /var/cache/yum myself, reran preupgrade and got the menu entry.

HINT: Because the video drivers are newer they may be more (or less) functional
on your hardware. If the preupgrade run hangs at boot time, check that, you may
need to add or remove nimodeset, set the xdriver to vesa, etc.

I have gotten most to work doing that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>