I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 14:52:08 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/23/2013 02:42 AM, Tim wrote:
>>
>> Joe Zeff (How do you produce with a browser?):
>>>
>>> Do you expect authors, as an example, to do all their writing in a
>>> browser?  Do you expect lawyers to compose their briefs and court
>>> documents in a browser?  How about accountants?  How about programmers,
>>> graphic artists and musicians?  The question isn't am I serious, but
>>> have you really given any thought to your position?
>>
>> In essence, the same way as companies used to use a main frame (and
>> those who still do must be laughing their asses off at all the problems
>> companies face who use scads of individual Windows PCs).
>>
>> However, the average ISP service is too slow for using a cloud as a
>> straightforward replacement for a mainframe.  Even if your ISP was your
>> cloud service provider, the lag may be too much.  You'd need a half and
>> half solution, where the main application is on the cloud, and your
>> client has an more complicated interface than just remote display and
>> input.
>>

> That last is true today. Will it remain true? Are you sure, in other words,
> that we have reached the limit of throughput speed, and lag will always be
> the deal-killer?
>
> Temlakos

Two things:
1. "Fiber to the home" is really fast. E.g. I've got 100Mbps to my
ISP; more than enough to power web-based applications. In many ways,
GMail on my Android is far faster than GNOME Evolution has ever been -
even though Evolution ran on far more capable hardware. (E.g. search
on a 4GB mailbox).
2. The huge investment on javaqscript compilers makes optimized
client-side-computing an interesting alternative. Instead of letting
the server-side crunch all the information into static HTMLs and
images, send the raw information to the client, and let the heavily
optimized JS do the heavy lifting instead.

I suggest you take a look at how Google, Facebook and Twitter optimize
their user experience.

- Gilboa