Problem with cron

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sat Mar 23 15:58:47 UTC 2013

On 03/22/2013 03:16 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I have my computers registered with the Linux Counter, and my main
> desktop machine is supposed to update its status once a week, using a
> cron job:
>
> # added by lico-update.sh version 0.3.14
> 58 11 * * 4 /home/joe/bin/lico-update.sh -m
>
> The permissions on the script are right, and if run manually, it works.
>  This worked fine under Fedora 16, but doesn't now that I'm running F
> 17.  Does anybody know what's happened, or how to find out?

A couple of thoughts:
1.  Does the script have executable permissions?
2.  Is cron working at all? Add "58 11 * * 4 touch /tmp/cron.test" as
another cron job. Does the test file date change?
3.  Just for laughs, check the SELinux logs to see if there's an AVC. It
may be that the script that created and installed the file didn't set
the selinux permissions correctly.

--
-- Steve