Problem with cron

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Mar 23 22:09:59 UTC 2013

Am 23.03.2013 23:00, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> On 03/23/2013 02:47 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> why do you not simply place your cronjobs in/etc/cron.d/?
>>
>> i maintain a lot of servers with tons of cronjobs running as
>> different users and never in my life called the contab-command
>
> Because crontab is specifically written for this, and I saw no reason not to use it

who cares - cronobs are one-liners
*/10 * * * * apache nice -n 19 ionice -c 3 bash /scripts/cleanup-uploadtemp.cron
_______________________

also take a look at anacrontab
normally you have there a line for daily jobs

touch /etc/cron.daily/mycronjob.sh
chmod 700 /etc/cron.daily/mycronjob.sh

and in this file place a shebang and
su -c 'whatever' user

there are millions of ways for cronjobs and all of them
can be done by any ordinary text-editor
_______________________

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/anacrontab
# /etc/anacrontab: configuration file for anacron
# See anacron(8) and anacrontab(5) for details.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root

# the maximal random delay added to the base delay of the jobs
RANDOM_DELAY=5

# the jobs will be started during the following hours only
START_HOURS_RANGE=0-12

#period in days   delay in minutes   job-identifier   command
1                 5                  cron.daily       nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.daily
7                 25                 cron.weekly      nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
@monthly          45                 cron.monthly     nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.monthly