Problem with cron

Mark Eggers mdeggers at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 23:04:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:21:37 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 03/23/2013 02:59 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> egreshko at meimei ~]$ export EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano [egreshko at meimei ~]$
>> crontab -e
>
> [joe at khorlia ~]$ echo $EDITOR nano
>
> And, if I just run nano from the command line, it works, because
> /usr/bin is on my PATH.

On Fedora 18, nano is in /bin. I don't know if that's where it is on
Fedora 17.

[mdeggers at trident ~]$ which nano
/bin/nano

So:

export EDITOR=/bin/nano
crontab -e

brings up crontab (empty for me) in the nano editor. Since I prefer vi, I
immediately Ctrl-X out of the editor and unset the environment variable
with:

unset EDITOR

And now I'm back to vi.

To find out where nano is on Fedora 17, type:

which nano

from the command line. Then adjust your export command accordingly.

. . . . just my two cents
/mde/