Anyone that can Recommend a Laser Printer

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Mar 24 01:29:08 UTC 2013

Jim wrote:
> On 03/23/2013 02:07 PM, poma wrote:

>>> I totally agree with you Poma this changing of Library files that affect
>>> printing and manf. like Samsung that make one driver for Linux and won't
>>> update their drivers because they don't want to support Linux,because
>>> they don't see Linux as viable on the Desktop, they just can't accept
>>> the reality that Linux is bigger than they think, Linux has total
>>> control over the Internet servers and many large companies.
>>> The problem is there is no real way to gauge how many Linux
>>> installations are out there.
>>>
>>> I can say I will never buy another Samsung Printer even tho I agree they
>>> make a very good printer.
>> If you meant *color* model at the first place, only those at the top
>> offers are worth mentioning, i.e. CLP-[567][5678][058] - the *true*
>> PostScript printers, not GDI or similar ones, whatever wire protocol are
>> used. But for your budget they are too much, and not only from that
>> manufacturer.
>> What comes to my mind, you can try with printing from an virtual machine
>> on which you current printer work, at least until a better solution can
>> be found.
>>

>> poma
>>
> Can Linux be run inside a Virtual OS inside Windows 7,
> The two computers I'm having problems with have Window 7 installed on them, BUT
> THE THOUGHT OF THAT JUST MAKES ME CRINGE.

I would think you would be happier running Win7 under Linux in a VM, but be sure
your computers support hardware virtualization rather than just paravirtualized
operation. Next info is "in most cases" stuff, use as a starting point:
Intel i7 - hardware VM and hyperthreading (SMT)
Intel i5 - hardware VM
Intel i3 - multi-core, all single threaded, non-VM
      AMD - all multi-core 64bit seem to do hardware VM

You can boot a Live CD from CD/USB and look in /proc/cpuinfo at the CPU flags.

Note that I have had zero issue running XP in a VM, Win7 there are install
tricks, ask someone else who has the latest.

Other note, you can run your printer in Linux and use SAMBA to make it available
to Windows running in a VM. Read up on that, I found it while doing something
else, no notes worth sharing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>