Limit of file siae on USB drives?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 26 20:32:19 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> said:
> I have a cruser *gig usb drive on which I am tring to copy a 4.9 gig
> file. The copy craps out somewhere afte copying 4.3 gis on to the USB
> drive,
>
> Is that some kind of hardware size limit or something else?

Your drive is most likely formatted with the FAT (old DOS/Windows)
filesystem, which only supports up to 4G files (where G=2^30, not 10^9).
This actually has nothing to do with it being a USB or flash drive; it
is just a limitation of the filesystem (that almost all flash drives and
cards use, except for SDXC cards which use exFAT).

You can either split up your file or format the flash drive with a
different filesystem.  If you reformat it, it probably won't be usable
under other OSes though.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>