Fedora 18 network printer setup

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Mar 27 05:41:32 UTC 2013

I have a Brother DCP-7065dn printer scanner connected to my LAN.

Sadly, it requires a proprietary driver.  I've installed that.
<http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html>

I asked the System Settings: Printers to set it up (add the printer).
The SS:P found the printer (so it must have found its IP address) and
added it.  But the SS:P was only willing to configure it with the IP
Address "localhost".  Not surprisingly, printing didn't work.

I even tried telling SS:P the printer's IP address, but it ignored
that and used localhost.

I used SS:P to remove the printer again.

I used the CUPS web server to add the printer (as suggested on the
Brother page).  That worked.  My printer has a static IP address,
which made pointing Firefox at it easier.

Why would Systems Settings: Printers not be able to add this network
printer?