undo rm -rf *

Celik celik.n.00 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 12:41:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:38 AM, Bill Oliver <vendor at billoblog.com> wrote:

> I'm not a fan of trash directories.  They give you a second chance, but
> you may end up not really deleting things you wanted to delete.  What
> about a simple script something like this?  This is off the top of my
> head and not tested (so certainly has a bug or two), but it seems that
> you could check with something like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> echo "check?"
>
> read ANS
>
> if [ $ANS = "y" ]
>
> then
>
>         ls -laR $1 | more
>
>         echo "continue?"
>
>         read ANS2
>
>         if [ $ANS2 = "y" ]
>
>         then
>
>                 rm -fr $1
>
>         fi
> else
>
>         rm -fr $1
>
> fi

Yes that script will do to prevent accidental deletions in the future.
Modified it slightly and posting it just in case needed by someone else.
Thank you :)

#!/bin/bash

echo -e "prompt-bf-deletion.sh...\n"

rm_target=$1

echo "+++Content(s) to be deleted:"
ls -laR $rm_target | more

echo -e "\n+++Continue with deletion (y/n)?"

read ANS

if [ $ANS = "y" ]; then
    rm -fr $rm_target
    echo -e "Contents deleted...\n"