Fedora 18 network printer setup

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Mar 27 15:34:00 UTC 2013

| From: Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com>

| That's odd.  What output does this command give?:
|
| su -c 'lpinfo -l -v'
|
| (I'm hoping it lists the network printer there...)

Context: my F18 system currently has a working printer setting,
installed through the CUPS web interface.

When I go to System Settings: Printers, I can see only one printer,
called RedPaper, at IP address redpaper.mimosa.com (as it should be).

Here's the lpinfo output.  The one interesting URI isn't what I want
or expect.  It points to the printer as made available by a different
computer (redclaw) on my network, not the printer itself (redpaper).
So lpinfo does not correspond to what SS:P shows.

The fact that printing works (last I check) doesn't tell me which
version is being used since I would expect both to function.

=== start ==
Device: uri = http
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (http)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = socket
        class = network
        info = AppSocket/HP JetDirect
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = https
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (https)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = ipps
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (ipps)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = lpd
        class = network
        info = LPD/LPR Host or Printer
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = ipp
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = dnssd://Brother%20DCP-7065dn%20%40%20redclaw.mimosa.com._ipp._tcp.local/cups
        class = network
        info = Brother DCP-7065dn @ redclaw.mimosa.com
        make-and-model = Brother Brother DCP7065DN series
        device-id = MFG:Brother;MDL:DCP7065DN series;FZY:1;
        location =
== end ==