Creating a server with Fedora 18

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Mar 27 18:16:54 UTC 2013

Am 27.03.2013 18:55, schrieb les:
> I have a friend who is vision impaired.  He recently got enough of his
> sight back to begin working on his systems again, and is interested in
> setting his servers up on Fedora 18.  His last version was 10 (long
> storage in between).
>
> Is there a site, blog or tutorial that would be easy for him to use with
> a screen reader or would have it broken down as a series of steps to
> help him get going (I know nothing of server setups now, so I cannot
> offer much help.)
>
> Among the things he mentioned was:
> Web manager.
> Reverse DNS.
>
> Unfortunately we were driving and I couldn't take coherent notes

in this context i would not recommend Fdora for a server because it
has a limited release-lifetime and you have two options twice a year

* re-install
* dist-upgrade

re-install is not much funny and a dist-upgrade with rely on a
screen reader maybe also not because sometimes a lot of changes
which i personally would not want to take care of in this siutation

in this conext i would recommdn CentOS6 which has security updates
for arund 10 years, the backside is that you can't have major
upgrades of software for a specific release and a dist-upgrade
is mre or less impossible because the changes are too much