Creating a server with Fedora 18

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Thu Mar 28 13:03:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, les wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 19:16 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 27.03.2013 18:55, schrieb les:

[...]

>>> Unfortunately we were driving and I couldn't take coherent notes
>>
>> in this context i would not recommend Fdora for a server because it
>> has a limited release-lifetime and you have two options twice a year
>>
>> * re-install
>> * dist-upgrade
>>
>> re-install is not much funny and a dist-upgrade with rely on a
>> screen reader maybe also not because sometimes a lot of changes
>> which i personally would not want to take care of in this siutation
>>
>> in this conext i would recommdn CentOS6 which has security updates
>> for arund 10 years, the backside is that you can't have major
>> upgrades of software for a specific release and a dist-upgrade
>> is mre or less impossible because the changes are too much
>>
> Thanks, Reindl,
> 	He won't be too happy, he loved Fedora.  I'll google for the setups for
> CentOS.  It looks like they are taking about 6.1 now on their website.
>
> 	If you know of any good server setup instructions, I could sure use it.
> I'll read up so I know a bit up front, and I may try to set up a server
> locally so I see what the issues are.  My friend is a really good man,
> and I will help where I can.  It has taken him a few years to get to a
> place where he is ready to try this.  Life deals us bad hands some times
> I guess.

I agree with Reindl on this. Fedora is insufferably bleeding-edge to
the point that it has even alienated its core developers with the
aggressiveness of its release cycle:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111104121194250082892/posts/aCiB7kTLXTh

CentOS is targeting a stable, long-lived run (I think ver. 6.x has an
end-of-life of 2020?)

Nevertheless, both Fedora and CentOS distributions are directed at user
communities that
can engage with the configuration and setup of their systems, including
text-editing of key configuration files.

Start with a minimal installation, and then build from there using yum.
Also, include other repositories such as epel and rpmfusion*.

http://www.centos.org/

> Regards,
> Les H

Max Pyziur