Meta-discussions and the role of the Fedora Community

Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 15:06:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:55:28 -0500
Steven Stern <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com> wrote:

> When people talk about choosing FOSS software like Fedora, "a strong
> community" is always cited.

Not so sure Steven.
Always figured
"FOSS software -  a strong community"
always pointed to active development,
not necessarily use.

> May we declare a moratorium on meta-discussions?  If someone doesn't
> give enough info, ask them for more, and that's all.  Going off on
> top posting, depth of quoting, typos, etc makes the list a hostile
> place.

I agree to a point, with the proviso a link to the guidelines should
be provides re tp.

> If you don't have something nice or helpful to say, don't say it.

> If you need more info, ask for it. If you suspect they don't know
> what they're doing, offer some assistance on how they can get that
> info.
>
> Quite frankly, if I were a newbie and I had a question and were met
> with such hostility, I'd think twice about all that stuff about the
> value of "the community".

I lurked for three years, before asking a question.
to gain some small knowledge from trial and error.

In the past I've got as much a broiling on Win lists  for tp,
whatever the place, a guide is a guide.
"Please stay on the trail, or you may eaten by a croc."

--
Regards,
Frank