yum upgrade

Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 15:46:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:39:05 +0100
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> >> CentOS seems able to do it ...
> >
> > CENTOS HAS NO DIST-UPGRADES AT ALL
> > No 5.1 to 5.2 is NOT at dist-upgrade
>
> 1. CentOS has "minor upgrades" at more or less the same frequency
> that Fedora has "major upgrades",
> so to the user they are more or less the same.

CentOS like RHEL has a 10 yesr life iirc.
CenOS minor update, is the same
as normal yum update within the normal Fedora Release..
Cenos 6.0 "yum update" constantly you end up with CentOS 6.4

> 2. I don't recall that I had any problems upgrading from CentOS 5
> to 6. I followed the simple advice given, and it worked exactly as
> stated.

The CentOS advice is not to do it.
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide

> 3. I looked at the two document mentioned about upgrading Fedora:
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum_directly>,
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp#How_Can_I_Upgrade_My_System_with_FedUp.3F>
>
> I found both of them rather confusing, and difficult to follow.

Maybe file an RFE against the component in Bugzilla,
detailing what was confusing?

--
Regards,
Frank