yum upgrade

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 29 20:47:46 UTC 2013

Am 29.03.2013 21:38, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>> what is difficult in
>>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum_directly
>>
>> there is a idiot-proof 1-2-3-4 instruction for each specific jump
>> well, you need to understand what the changes between releases are
>> dooing to understand the steps and why the order matters, but if
>> you are not willing to learn this things and can not upgrade a
>> Fedora installation you have two choices left
>>
>> * re-install from scratch
>> * choose a distribution which fits your ability to flollow
>
> A. As far as I can see, the document you recommend
> starts by advising the reader to do something else,
> and gives a link to this alternative method

becasue the yum upgrade is more or less for advanced users
but, hey, i did manage it years ago a few weeks after my
firs linux-only desktop machine

> To me that is confusing, for a start.
> It is rather like opening a Russian grammar,
> and being told you would do better to study Greek.

no, it starts only with the hint "avoid it if you are
not familar with linux, yum and rpm-dependencies at all"

> B. I should say that to date I have always moved to a new distribution -
> I have gone through all Fedora distributions since the first -
> by installing the new distribution on a spare partition,
> keeping the old in case the new one does not work.

and i have always done yum-upgrades from my first day with
fedora, switched a large production infrastructure to fedora
and did yum-upgardes in priduction several hundrets of times

> I expect to do the same in the future,
> though I am always open to new methods.

as i will do the same with yum-upgardes since
the one and only try with preupgrade was the only
one which resultet in a bricked system and hous
to repair it

as i work with my machines and not only playing i have
no time to install from scratch twice a year and waste
two dys to have ALL my specific configurations in place

> So I was only reading the documents mentioned out of interest.
> As I said, I found them rather confusing.

what is confusing there?

> It is true, probably, that one could abstract an "idiot-proof"
> 1-2-3-4 instruction if one deleted 80% of the document.
> Are there really people trying to update from Fedora-13 to Fedora-14?

for people like you there are anchors on top of the page
you need only to know the number of your installed version
and click on the right link

> I would extend Thompson's dictum that "a program should do one thing,
> and do it well" to documentation

if you want only ONE way to do things switch to Apple OSX