difference between output of "yum ps" and "needs-restarting"?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Mar 30 03:29:15 UTC 2013

Georg Wittig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone please explain the difference between the output of
>       yum ps                (from the RPM yum-plugin-ps)
> and
>       needs-restarting      (from the RPM yum-utils)
>
> I couldn't find many infos about those 2 commands.

I'll take a whack at clarifying.

yum ps - tells you what packages are associated with which processes. Can be
used before the fact to determine if doing that update is a good idea.

needs-restarting identifies (after update) processes using packages (typically
libraries) which have been updated.

Is that enough?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>