best fedora solution to securely erase folders/clean free space?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Mar 30 12:10:57 UTC 2013

Am 30.03.2013 12:58, schrieb M. Fioretti:
> I will (re)study these topics in detail in the next days. My first
> interest is to understand if those (or other) tools are enough to be
> sure, without reformatting/reinstalling

reformat / reinstall does not anything in the direction of the topic

> that, besides the files one DOES want to keep, there really is nothing
> else recoverable on the drive

dd if/dev/urandom of=random.bin bs=16M; sync; rm -f random.bin

creates a file with random-stuff until the disk is full, syncs
it really to the disk and removes the file as the same with
dd if=/dev/zero will zerofill free space to make it
possible shink thin provisioned virtual-disks as example