difference between output of "yum ps" and "needs-restarting"?

Georg Wittig nc-wittigge at netcologne.de
Sat Mar 30 15:16:28 UTC 2013

OP here.

Additionally, I just discovered strange behavior of the
needs-restarting command,

1. After a "yum update" it usually reads lots of data from the net
before outputting anything. I don't have any idea what it's reading,
and from where and where it stores that data. Why isn't the info
enough that "yum update" has?

2. Sometimes (in the sense of non-deterministically) needs-restarting
reports processes I don't expect. Occasionally it even reports 10 to
20 processes immediately after rebooting (i.e. immediately after login
and su)! At other times it reports a couple of processes that it
didn't report before (no explicit or implicit "yum update" in the
meantime), and a couple of minutes later it doesn't report them any
longer.

Just wondering...