"hackers"

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 1 05:41:28 UTC 2013

Richard Vickery:
>> I have no clue what the term "I've been hacked" means.

Tim:
>> Then you'd have to be about the only one working with computers who
>> cannot comprehend what the person meant when they wrote that:  some
>> form of unauthorised alteration of their data.

addendum                         ^^^^
Should really say "alteration or use" (just to be complete).

Richard Vickery:
> I'm just going to guess, Tim, that you are a little more intelligent
> than your reply lets on, and that you can actually understand the
> meaning behind "I have no clue what the term 'I've been hacked'
> means". No one can be that stupid, can you?

You wrote it.  You were the one deliberately being a jackass over the
issue.  I'm calling you out on it.  You're getting perilously close to
turning this into a straw man argument.

I think that it's very safe to say that ever since the 1980s the term
"being hacked" has been well understood to mean just what I, and others,
in this thread have said.

Buggering around obtusely or inappropriately with something to gain
unauthorised access *is* hacking.  Hacked the website, hacking the phone
company...  *We* all understand what that means.  It's merely breaking
something to do what you want it, instead.  And unless they actually did
crack the password or encrypting, cracking is a less appropriate term.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.8-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Apr 17 17:15:40 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.