Extraordinary delay in accessing web-site

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu May 2 13:25:06 UTC 2013

Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Does it matter where your laptop is?  If you go to your local coffee
>>> shop and use their Wifi do you also have the problem?
>> Thanks very much for your advice.
>> I found there was the same delay with the laptop in an internet cafe.
>> I've also found I have the same problem with my Android phone
>> (Samsung Galaxy S2, Android version 4.0.4).
>> But I don't have the problem on my CentOS-6.4 server, or on Windows XP.
>
> I would say that comes under the heading of curiouser and curiouser.
>
>>> Have you tried using WireShark or another network tool to see if you're
>>> getting data from the remote site and/or getting dropped or
>>> re-transmitted frames.
>> I've forgotten how to use wireshark -
>> I'll look for a tutorial and try what you suggest.

> Hard to believe that it would have anything to do with IPv6.  I'm guessing
> that xyx.com doesn't have an IPv6 address.  Also, your Samsung phone also
> exhibits the same symptoms and it probably doesn't have IPv6 enabled
> either.
>
> Good luck with wireshark.  The interface has probably changed since the
> last time you used it.

Thanks again for your response.
I've been using wireshark as you suggested,
and it seems that the same packet is being repeated endlessly.
It is described as "TCP segment of a reassembled PDU".

So I wonder if it is just a problem with the protocol
used by the WVC54GCA camera to send pictures over the internet?

Or perhaps more likely it has something to do with the MTU?
The packet that is repeated endlessly has length 1462.

> Oh, one more thing....  Have you tried using the IP address instead of the
> hostname?

I did try that - it didn't make any difference.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net