virsh ok with TLS but virt-viewer not

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Fri May 3 15:34:06 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I folowed instructions on:

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/TLSSetup

To setup TLS conections to a qemu+kvm host, for remote administration. I
guess I did everything right, because

sudo virsh -c qemu+tls://myhost/system

Works fine. So far every command I tried is ok. Giving the same URL to
virt-manager also works.

But I cannot open any guest console, be it from virt-manager or from
virt-viewer.

If I try:

sudo virt-viewer -c qemu+tls://myhost/system 1

I get an error pop-up telling "Unable to connect to graphics server
myhost:5900"

And from virt-manager, the guest console shows "Connecting to graphical
console for guest" and nothing happens. No error message, not even
timeout. :-( But I can inspect and even change the guest details.

On the guest details, it shows "Display Spice" at addres 127.0.0.1 and
port 5900 with auto TLS port, and no password. Should I change those
settings to get remote access to a guest console? If so, how, as I
cannot find info at either libvirt.org nor virt-manager.org.

If I use a qemu+ssh URL it works for virsh and virt-manager, including
gest consoles, but using virt-viewer won't work even using ssh. So I
suppose something is missing, but I have no idea what.

The end goal is being able to use both virsh and virt-viewer under
Windows, and their README state that ssh connections won't work yet.

[]s, Fernando Lozano