Network Manager Problems

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri May 3 16:56:05 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 08:56 AM, Bill Oliver issued this missive:

> On Fri, 3 May 2013, Lawrence Graves wrote:
>

>> On 05/03/2013 08:14 AM, Bill Oliver wrote:
>> I agree with you, I believe it is the drivers too. I assumed it was
>> the network manager because I am able to connect to my 2.4ghz wi-fi.
>> Aren't the same drivers used to connect to 2.4ghz  the drivers  to
>> connect to 5ghz.
>>

> Yeah, I think so.  But kernel wackiness can be odd.  For instance, on my
> toshiba with F18, the wireless worked fine *except* with certain Cisco
> routers.  So, I could use it from home where I have an old obsolete
> Belkin router, and I could use it at Barnes and Nobel, but I it had
> severe problems at my hospital and at McDonalds -- it found the router
> and got an ip address and everything was fine for about four minutes,
> then it started dropping packets and became frozen after about 10
> minutes.  Of the two or three places it didn't work and I could find
> out, it was always with a Cisco router.  So, when I install a new
> version of fedora, I throw an old USB Alfa adapter in my computer case
> and use it instead of the onboard adapterif it blinks out. If I can't
> fix it, as I said, then I take a break from fedora until it gets fixed
> in the kernel.  This has happened with F16,17, and 18, though I haven't
> switched that particular box back to 18 from Mint yet.

It is not uncommon for the routers to have MTUs set to <1500 and that
can cause problems--especially if you're using a VPN gateway. Depending
on how screwy it is, I often have to use

	NAT Traversal Mode cisco-udp

in my vpnc configs. While it is often a driver issue with a given
kernel, in these cases it's a router with an MTU <1500 that causes the
problem.