Network Manager Problems

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri May 3 21:10:51 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 10:17 AM, Bill Oliver issued this missive:

> On Fri, 3 May 2013, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>> Hmmm.  Never thought of that.  I'll put F18 on my toshiba and bring it
>>> in on Monday and see if that changes anything.  And, yeah, I use a vpn.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the tip!
>>
>> Hope it works for you. "Even a blind pig finds the occasional truffle."
>> (the blind pig being me!)
>>

> Heh.  It'll be funny, after all that I wrote about telling the
> difference between a hardware/driver problem and config problem that
> this turns out to be a config problem.  Doh.

Not necessarily. It's sometimes rather difficult to differentiate
between a hardware problem, driver issue or something further upstream.
You just have to be methodical in analyzing the issue. Often it is
out of your control (e.g. not being able to see how a router is
configured) and that makes it more difficult.

I can't tell you how many times I've examined logs, run tcpdumps,
replaced NIC cards, replaced edge switches, updated kernel drivers,
etc. only to find out we had a flaky CAT5 or fiber cable. GRRRRRR!

"Most problems can be solved by careful analysis of the situation,
thoughtful planning and rational execution of a plan. But when you're
up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember your job was to
drain the swamp!"