Fedora 18 basic functionality install question

soko.tica soko.tica at gmail.com
Sun May 5 05:51:26 UTC 2013

Hello list,

I have successfully installed Fedora 18 with basic functionality on an
UEFI-based lenovo y400 notebook to dual boot with pre-installed windows 8.
Both OS-es boot without a hassle (although to boot windows 8 I need to turn
on the box through the "novo" button, while turning on by pressing "usual"
button boots fedora - it should be solved through shim and uefi-boot
options subsequently, I guess).

However, there are several issues I need help with:

1) I have installed fedora with basic functionality, since I didn't want
pre-selected desktops (I wanted to install fluxbox subsequently). Since I
have no previous experience with Fedora (I'have been using OpenBSD for
several years) it appears to be the mistake as it caused problems described
under 2) and 3).

2) I have no network card configured.

ifconfig -a shows loopback only. Although the installer recognized wi-fi
card during the installation I left it unconfigured, since I wanted to
connect through
 eth0. lspci shows Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161
Gigabit Ethernet, but I havent managed to bring it up by ifconfig up.

3) X won't start (startx - command not found).

The question I ask is how to upgrade from Fedora 18 basic functionality to
a full-blown box? Is simply re-installing safe, given this is a dual-boot
UEFI box?

Many thanks in advance for your time to read this and the effort to respond.