yum-fastestmirror is not the default, it should be

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun May 5 16:22:02 UTC 2013

On Sun, 5 May 2013 12:12:01 -0400
Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any rationale for NOT making yum-fastestmirror the default??

Sure.

It uses a very simple test to determine what is 'fastest', and thats
sometimes very wrong. Additionally, it can decide a mirror is 'fastest'
and that mirror is out of date.

> Without yum-fastestmirror any yum install is excuciatingly slow,
> think 256 Kbps or slower.
> However if I enable yum-fastestmirror I download from the local
> mirror in .AR at 5 Mbps...
>
> So, again, given that benefits that yum-fastestmirror providers, why
> isn't it the default behaviour? (we can have 'yum-slowyum' to revert
> back to the traditional behaviour ;-)

Feel free to file a RFE bug against yum and ask the maintainers to
consider making it default. I suspect however that it doesn't work as
well for everyone else as it does for you.

kevin