yum-fastestmirror is not the default, it should be

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sun May 5 16:23:45 UTC 2013

On 05/05/2013 11:12 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Is there any rationale for NOT making yum-fastestmirror the default??
>
> Without yum-fastestmirror any yum install is excuciatingly slow, think
> 256 Kbps or slower.
> However if I enable yum-fastestmirror I download from the local mirror
> in .AR at 5 Mbps...
>
> So, again, given that benefits that yum-fastestmirror providers, why
> isn't it the default behaviour? (we can have 'yum-slowyum' to revert
> back to the traditional behaviour ;-)
>
> FC
> --

It seems to me that fastest mirror measures only the ping time for a
mirror, not the actual download rate. Sometimes, it works in my favor
and sometimes not.  It's on by default in CentOS 6 and off in Fedora.
In general, I don't see a whole lot of difference when I run updates on
each.

My preference is to have the updates download themselves via
yum-updatesd or yum-cron, so it's really irrelevant except when I'm
manually installing packages.

--
-- Steve