UEFI Notebook

Len Philpot len at philpot.org
Mon May 6 23:10:19 UTC 2013

On 05/06/2013 at 12:54 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
>You're making this even more confusing to anyone reading this thread.
>You specifically stated:
>
>> This enabled me to choose from a non-EFI boot device, which was critical to
getting the F18 DVD to boot directly.

Yes, but I never said the USB stick was *that* device. I never got the USB
stick to boot until I 'dd-ed' the EFI image to it using an F18 installation I
have in Virtual Box on my Win7 PC. Enabling CSM (Compatibility Support Mode)
on my ASUS laptop enabled me to boot the Fedora 18 **DVD** with anaconda
starting properly after choosing it from the grub menu, as it should. With EFI
enabled (and CSM disabled), booting from the EFI DVD device gave me a grub
prompt but nothing beyond it. The DVD would just spin down after I tried to
start the install. Every time.

>You boot the DVD image and it automatically launches anaconda that resides on
it.

Not in my case, it didn't. Not from the outset. The very first time I tried I
got grub, hit Enter and waited. Nothing other than the DVD finally spinning
down ever happened. It just sat there. Forever. And that was a DVD built from
a validated ISO downloaded from the Fedora site, BTW
(Fedora-18-x86_64-DVD.iso).

>find... I don't know what else we can do to make it simpler.

Once I (inadvertently) got rid of the EFI partition, it was perfectly simple.
:-) Of course, having full package selection available *within* the installer
instead of having add them later would be nice, but I digress...  Plus the
help I received on the Fedora Forums was, well, helpful instead of
argumentative. I see no reason to bicker any further - It's installed and
running fine. The fact that it just so happens to be in legacy mode is less
than irrelevant to me.

Thanks for the help; I'm done on this topic.
--
Len Philpot
len at philpot.org
http://lphilpot.zenfolio.com