Howto configure KDE to always open new windows?

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Tue May 7 14:59:06 UTC 2013

T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

> To force files opened with Kate to always appear in a new window,
> right-click on the launcher in the bottom-left corner, open the Menu
> Editor, locate Kate's entry, and add a "--new" switch to the end of
> Kate's Command entry.  This should fix Dolphin and most other
> graphical applications (for opening files in Kate, anyway).  If you
> invoke kate from the command line you will need to include the --new
> switch there too or use a shell alias.

Excellent. Thank you.

> > This also happens when I click links in emails. They always open in a
> > (randomly? chosen) browser window even if that browser window is not in
> my
> > current workspace.
>
> What browser do you use?  Most of them have an option to force this in
> their configuration.

The only options I can find in any browser would cause *all* links to open
in new windows. As it is, if I follow a link from within the browser, I
normally want it to open that link in a new tab. It's only links from
outside the browser (eg from kmail) that I want to open in a new window
because those links are normally not in the context of what I'm currently
browsing.

> > Is there a way to configure KDE to always open files or links in a new
> > window? In the current workspace? It would be nice if there were some
> > universal setting for this behavior, but I'll settle for just a way to
> make
> > files opened in Dolphin always appear in a new window.
>
> Unfortunately such a universal option for all programs is impossible
> given the state of things.  :-(  But you can fix Kate and your browser
> everywhere, and can probably fix the few other programs that exhibit
> this behavior similarly.

I am a little surprised -- I was under the impression that one of KDE's
defining features is that everything under the sun had a checkbox or
adjustment in some settings dialog, but I'm finding a great number of
annoying misfeatures that simply can't be changed.

In this case, the fix for opening editor files from Dolphin is an 80%
solution for me, so I'm going to take that and be happy. Thanks again.

-Alan