Howto configure KDE to always open new windows?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue May 7 21:17:31 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 04:21 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Alan Evans <ame.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I keep 12 workspaces open. Yes, 12 -- it works for me. At any time, I'll
>> have multiple instances (or at least multiple windows) open, spread around
>> the various workspaces. For example, I might have 3 or 4 kate windows open
>> in various workspaces, each editing groups of files relevant to what I'm
>> doing with that workspace.

Hi. 16 workspaces here.
Same problem.
KDE has some "centralized" ideas which I really don't like; this "reuse windows"
is one of them, the unified progress bar (notifications) is another one.

> To force files opened with Kate to always appear in a new window,
> right-click on the launcher in the bottom-left corner, open the Menu
> Editor, locate Kate's entry, and add a "--new" switch to the end of
> Kate's Command entry.  This should fix Dolphin and most other
> graphical applications (for opening files in Kate, anyway).  If you
> invoke kate from the command line you will need to include the --new
> switch there too or use a shell alias.

My solution is:

      $ cat /usr/local/bin/kate
      #!/bin/bash

      exec /usr/bin/kate -n "$@"

Just be sure that /usr/local/bin precedes /usr/bin in $PATH.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it