OpenJRE or Oracle Jre

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu May 9 03:15:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> do NOT install it if you are not really use it!

I could be wrong, but I believe the current OpenJDK and Icedtea-web
approach is NOT to run unsigned applets by default, and modern
browsers (ie Mozilla's Firefox) now feature CLICK TO RUN on all
plug-in content.

So, while I know by now -due to your repetition at every opportunity-
that you hate applets, that advice is not needed anymore. There's no
way code could run if you do not click-enable the plugin in the
browser + grant permission on a per-site basis in the plugin's own
dialogs.

Plus, not installing Icedtea-web not only prevents you from running
applets (which would be a plus for some) but also prevents you from
running desktop apps delivered via Java Web Start (.jnlp).

In the words of RedHat´s Andrew Haley on the OpenJDK list
distro-pkg-dev:

"(Hiding the plug-in) is truly dreadful reasoning. Either we think
that the plugin is safe enough for people to use, or we don't ship
it."

FC
- George Orwell