fedora18 and ipods/iphones

Junk junk at therobinsonfamily.net
Thu May 9 06:13:29 UTC 2013

On 9 May 2013, at 04:46, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 17:54 -0700, profiles wrote:
>> Does anyone have a strategy on how to access data on these mac
>> devices?
>
> Neither the iPhone nor the iPod are Mac devices. They run IOS.
>
> Try installing libimobiledevice and using Rhythmbox or Banshee (or
> possibly Amarok, though I haven't had much luck with it). Some basic
> music access works, but don't expect full iTunes funcionality. If that
> is important, install a Windows virtual machine (VirtualBox works fine
> for this but you need the non-free version to get access to the USB
> level).
>
> poc
>
> --

I have an iPhone. I've never tried syncing contacts directly to a client on Linux, what I do is sync them via some intermediary CalDAV and CardDAV server such as an owncloud server (which it would be possible to setup directly on your machine but requires some experience of setting up a web server) or google calendar. However there is an issue with switching to these as it will set up a separate 'account' on the phone and you then have to migrate the contacts on your phone to the remote account. This would be cheaper than running a virtual windows machine.

For backing up and syncing apps you will need Windows or Mac OS and iTunes. Apple have not left us penguins any options regarding that.

if you are going down the virtual machine route a KVM guest will do USB passthrough for free, is built right into the Linux kernel and the tools are available in the fedora repos.

Leon