How to mount a external USB drive automatically

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu May 9 19:40:04 UTC 2013

On 05/09/2013 12:27 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> I have never known a usb drive to show up on the desktop without being
> mounted. Have you looked in /etc/mtab? If so, what does it show? If
> not, how do you know the drive isn't mounted?

I'm running F 17 with Xfce, on two computers and on both, I've told it
to mount removable media when inserted.  When I plug a flash drive in,
on either box, it appears on the desktop, but if I right-click on it,
one of the options is to mount it.  I can't speak for the OP, but that's
how I know they're not mounted.