no audio with HDMI

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Sat May 11 15:10:50 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 06:58 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Need help from the audio gurus.
>
> f18, up to date.
>
> Anybody using their HDMI out for a TV?
>
> I've connected the HDMI output from a PC to an HDTV's HDMI port.
> The TV reports HDMI no audio.
>
> On the PC, PulseAudio Volume Control->Output Devices shows:
>
>   HDA ATI HDMI Digital Stereo (HDMI)
>   Port: HDMI/Display Port
>
> followed by check boxes for various codecs.  PCM is checked but
> grayed-out/disabled (which is the one I think I need).
>
> Below that the Front-Left/Right volume control indicators *do*
> respond to the keyboard's volume keys and below that is a
> graphical sound indicator that matches the expected output.  All
> of that shows that the audio is making it into the system but is
> not making its way out.
>
> A hunch says PCM issue, but I really haven't a clue.  It would be
> very sweet to have this resolved.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Wright
Dumb question - did you select HDMI as your default audio output, or
as the output for the program you are trying to play? Or did you
select the option to have audio go to both devices? On my system, it
defaulted to going just to the sound card.

One other thing - I remember having to set up a special loopback to
get an analog input to the sound card to go to the HDMI sound
output, but I can not remember how I did it right now. The audio
part of my monitor died, and I had to go back to a set of speakers
off the sound card. (Hardware problem - it does not work with the
analog input either.)

Mikkel

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and
taste good with Ketchup!