F18 download won't burn to CD.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 13 02:23:26 UTC 2013

On 05/13/13 10:11, William Case wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-05-12 at 20:36 -0400, Jim wrote:
>> On 05/12/2013 07:42 PM, William Case wrote:
>>> I suspect stupidity on my part because I see no questions on the list or
>>> google about my problem.
>>>
>>> I have an older computer that I want to upgrade the OS to Fedora 18.  I
>>> have downloaded Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso (960.5 mb)on to a
>>> newer machine.   I want to burn it to a CD (700 mb) or install it some
>>> other way on the older machine which only has CD drives.
>>>
>>> None of the instructions tell me how.  There used to be a specific live
>>> version for a CD. Either I am blind, stupid or ignorant.  Could you
>>> pleas tell me which and how I may be able to get that old machine
>>> running
>>>
>>> P.S. using a network is out of the question.  The eth0 card is broken.
>>> That is what started this whole mess.
>>>
>> Check the size of your download, it most likely is larger than a CD (700mb)
>> A 32 bit version of Fedora 18 is 805 mb .
> Oh it is.  It is 960.5mb.  It obviously won't fit on a CD.  My question
> is: Did I miss something and there is a a) CD sized live disk download,
> b) a way to make one (easily), or c) another way to get the F18 on to my
> old machine?
>
> I can't do it over a network because the Old Machine had a broken eth0
> and I have installed a new eth1 card.  I am trying to get the eth1 card
> working which is why I thought I would upgrade my OS first.

The path of least resistance may be to use the Xfce Spin or LXDE Spin as both are less than 700mb and will fit on a CD.  Depending on your HW, it may not even support the new GNOME-Shell so one of those spins may actually suit your needs better?

In any event, after you get either of those spins installed you can get your new network card working and install a second desktop....as long as you have sufficient disk space.

Can we also assume your old machine can't boot from USB?

--
The only thing worse than a poorly asked question is a cryptic answer.