F18 download won't burn to CD.

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 13 03:28:14 UTC 2013

William Case <billlinux <at> rogers.com> writes:

> I have an older computer that I want to upgrade the OS to Fedora 18.  I
> have downloaded Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso (960.5 mb)on to a
> newer machine.   I want to burn it to a CD (700 mb) or install it some
> other way on the older machine which only has CD drives.

The size limit for the Desktop and KDE Lives is now 1 GB (1,000,000,000
bytes). See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/18/Spins for a complete
list. The size limits for the other Lives is still 700 MiB (CD size). You
can use one of the other Lives, or burn your Desktop ISO to a DVD instead of
a CD (assuming you have a DVD drive), or install from a 1 GB or larger thumb
drive (if you machine can boot from that). You can get an internal DVD
burner nowadays for about $15, and the media is about as cheap as CDs but
much larger, so there's not much point in using CDs anyway.