F18 download won't burn to CD.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 13 05:28:06 UTC 2013

On 05/13/13 11:12, William Case wrote:
> Some further details.  The old computer was used by a non-computer
> literate, perhaps I should say phobic, step-son.  His main use was
> emails and football scores.  He tripped over the line leading to his
> embedded nic.  I have installed a new card.  We now have two eth;  eth0
> (the embedded nic)  and eth1 the new card.  I have to figure out how to
> get the eth1 to connect automatically to the internet for him.  Frankly
> I haven't play with Linux and Fedora for a few years (3 or 4).  I could
> you a couple of quick suggestions on how to get started making the
> change over.  I know Fedora now uses emX designation.  A pointer in the
> right direction to make the change would be helpful, if you think I need
> them.

You've indicated that the on-board ethernet card is bad or may be bad.  If that is the case, and if it is possible, you should disable it in the BIOS.

The naming of the network interfaces may not be emX.

By default, Fedora is set up to use NetworkManager.  LXDE will have an applet on the try which looks like 2 side-by-side monitors.  You can right-click on the and choose Edit-Connections to make the configuration you need.

--
The only thing worse than a poorly asked question is a cryptic answer.