yum --downloadonly

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 13 17:49:49 UTC 2013

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 2 May 2013 09:59:36 +0100
> Frank Murphy wrote:
>
>> if # yum --downloadonly
>> is invoked without --downloadir
>> are the packages just kept in the yum cache?
>
> Yep, they hang around till you actually run yum
> without --downloadonly, the automatic cache
> flushing doesn't happen till the packages are installed
> (which makes sense, but doing the sensible thing
> is not always what happens with software :-).

I keep the cache, then run a small script to upload the packages to a
master repository, where a repo is created on a regular basis. The
result is that if I install or upgrade a package on any of my machines,
it winds up in the local repository and when needed on any other machine
is available locally. I have Gbit on site and 12Mbit to the net, so
saves time and bandwidth.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>